Adopt a Pet
All adoptions are subject to the following policies:
- To adopt an animal you must complete an adoption application and be approved by the shelter staff. All required documentation must be turned in before an application will be considered.
- No adoption applications will be accepted until after the mandatory hold period.
- In the case of multiple applications for a single animal, the applications will be reviewed in the order we receive them.
- Applications are not kept on file. You will need to complete a new application each time you are interested in an animal.
- There will be no "same-day" adoptions. In other words, the animal will not go home with you the same day you turn in the application. The only exception would be out of town adopters who have submitted an application in advance.
- We require all unaltered animals be spayed or neutered within 45 days of adoption. We sponsor low cost spay/neuter clinics several times a year to assist with this requirement. We reserve the right to confiscate the animal if this requirement is not met. You will be required to provide proof of the spay/neuter to the shelter within the 45 day time frame.
- Animals at the Shelby County Animal Shelter have not been vetted or temperament tested. We do not guarantee the health or temperament of any animal adopted from the shelter. We do our best to make sure the animals are healthy and they do receive their first round of vaccinations. We encourage all adopters take their animal to their vet for a wellness check as soon as possible after adoption.
- All adoptions are final.
- All applications must be approved by shelter staff.
- Due to time needed, no adoptions will be done after 30 minutes prior to closing.
- Adoption Applications are available at the shelter.