About the Sheriff's Office
Integrity. Fairness. Compassion. Courtesy. Professionalism.
Welcome to the Office of the Shelby County Sheriff.
To build a professional law enforcement agency based on a strong foundation of the following principles:
- Leadership: Bringing all law enforcement together, to work as a team, with the shared goal of keeping the residents of Shelby County safe, regardless of where they live within the county.
- Cooperation: To work with other county agencies, the court systems, municipal and village governments, school districts, community organizations, business and industry, and the news media.
- Continuous Improvement: To foster innovation, positive change, and continually advancing the level of service through the best training, evaluation, and input from the residents of Shelby County, by listening to all of their concerns and taking them into consideration.
- Competence: To ensure the optimal quality of life by providing effective and efficient services. We are focusing on aggressive pro-active patrol and tenacious investigation of crime.
- Values: To maintain a department based on the core values of integrity, fairness, compassion, courtesy and professionalism.
- Service: This vision will be accomplished by dedication to public service and commitment to continuous improvement.
The Shelby County Sheriff's Office is located at 555 Gearhart Road in southern Sidney, Ohio. Our present building was constructed in 1994 with the assistance of a 1/2 % sales tax.
We currently have a staff of 72 employees and operate 24 hours a day. We operate a full-service correctional facility, handle court security, are the chief civil service officer, and provide law enforcement protection for over 48,000 Shelby County citizens. Our Road Patrol deputies cover roughly 1,400 miles of roadways and handle incidents such as traffic crashes, domestic disputes, civil service paperwork, and many other types of calls to preserve the peace. We maintain the Sex Offender tracking database for Shelby County.
Our Communications Center dispatches for 5 volunteer EMS services, 11 volunteer fire departments, and other agencies such as the American Red Cross, Wildlife Officer, Shelby County Juvenile Court, Shelby County's Sewer District, Children Services, Dog Warden, Shelby County Park District, County Highway, Victim Services, ODOT, Homeland Security, etc. We are one of two 911 sites and handle all emergency calls generated outside the City of Sidney. We handle over 9,000 emergency "911" per year and generate over 40,000 responses to requests for assistance.
Our Correctional Facility has the ability to house 188 inmates, with the daily average population being approximately 110 inmates.
We are proud to have our own Special Response Team (SRT) which is also part of a regional alliance. We are blessed with a patrol/drug K-9 unit. Our detectives investigate and follow up on criminal and drug complaints and our Reserves, or Auxiliary staff, assist at many community events and supplement our day to day needs. We are proud to have a DARE officer teaching 5th grade students at all County Schools, as well as Holy Angels and Sidney Christian. We have School Resource officers at Sidney High School, Sidney Middle School, Houston, Fairlawn, and Anna School systems. We also have school safety officers at all Sidney City public schools.